Banneker Clubs & Organizations for SY2021-22

Banneker has numerous clubs and organizations. See below to find out what they are all about, when and where they meet, and who to contact to join.

SY2021-22 Clubs & Organizations

Balloons Designer’s Club: This club offers hands-on balloon designing activities.  The fun of balloon decoration and the enhancement of skills in putting creativity together on special occasions such as school programs and celebrations are the main goals of the club.  Come and join us on the 1st and 4th Wednesdays of the month from 3:30 – 4 PM. See Mr. Jomuad ([email protected]) in room A224.

Book Club: Students choose books to read and discuss. Meetings happen the fourth Wednesday of the month during the middle of lunch in Ms. Berke’s room (A327).

Chess Club: We will learn and play chess. Meetings are TBD in Mr. Goldfarb’s room (A117).

Debate Club: Learn how to effectively argue both sides of an issue. This year we explore environmental impacts! Meetings happen during advisory in Dr. Arndt’s room (A326).

Drama Club: During the first semester, we will build theatre skills, choose a script, and cast for our spring production. Meetings happen during the middle of lunch on Fridays in Ms. Gilliam’s room (A325).

Ecorise Club: To promote sustainability in the campus and apply eco grant projects. Meetings happen every third Monday of the month from 3:15 to 4:15 on the 4th floor of the Learning Commons. Contact Ms. Garcia ([email protected]).

Ethics Bowl Team: Learn about ethical principles and how to apply them to build arguments about everyday choices. Meetings will happen during the middle of the lunch on the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month. Contact Ms. Berke ([email protected]) in room A327.

Financial Literacy Club: Financial Literacy Club will focus on developing students’ financial knowledge and skills for post-high school life. Topics include: taxes, saving, investing, debt, budgeting, and giving. This club will meet Fridays at the beginning of lunch in Ms. Zigmond’s room (A123). New members are always welcome!

French and French Honor Society Club: Spend time as a group to speak about the culture, the language and the love for anything French. Includes all French speaking countries and the Francophone world. You do not have to take a French class to participate. Meetings happen on Fridays after school until 4 PM in Ms. Vongy’s room (A305).

Gay Straight Alliance: A social/support club for students who are allies and members of the LGBTQ community. We talk about history, our lives, and work to ensure awareness and acceptance of the LGBTQ community. This is a safe space for all students!! Meetings are Wednesdays during lunch in room A420. Contact Ms. Nguyen ([email protected]) or Mr. Zimmerman ([email protected]).

History Movie Club: We watch various films of interest that relate to history and discuss them. Meetings are TBD in Mr. Goldfarb’s room (A117).

It’s Academic Team: It’s Academic is currently recruiting strong underclassmen who are interested in learning more about quiz bowl. We compete against other schools in answering questions about all academic subjects. Practice times are Fridays from 3:45-5:00 and one lunch period a week in room A324 (Ms. Morris).

LatinX Club: LatinX Club shares the Spanish Language and Latin culture with the Banneker community. Everybody is welcome — you do not have to be LatinX or speak Spanish to be part of this club. Meetings are Fridays during lunch in room A311 (Sr. Miras).

Model United Nations: Model United Nations is an academic club dedicated to learning about world affairs, international diplomacy, and enhancing public speaking skills. Students have the opportunities to attend conferences with other high schools in the DMV, and across the country. This club is open to all grade levels. Meetings are Thursdays at a time TBD in room A122. Contact Ms. Desimone: [email protected]

Mu Alpha Theta (ΜΑΘ): Mu Alpha Theta is the United States mathematics honor society for high school and two-year college students. Its main goals are to inspire keen interest in mathematics, develop strong scholarship in the subject, and promote the enjoyment of mathematics in high school and two-year college students.  It provides a method and activities for schools to recognize and encourage students who enjoy and excel in mathematics. Meetings are held on Fridays from 3:30 – 4:30. Contact Mr. Baking ([email protected]) in room A223 or Mr. Jomuad ([email protected]) in room A224.

National History Day: NHD is a nationwide history research and presentation competition. Students work individually or in pairs or groups to write a paper, make an exhibit, create a performance, or make a documentary film on a history topic of their choice. Competition begins at the state level in the spring; Banneker students often place at that level and go on to the national level at the beginning of summer. The theme of this year’s competition is “Debate and Diplomacy in History: Successes, Failures, Consequences.” Beginning in October, the club will meet during lunch or advisory (TBD) in Ms. Tyson’s room (A121).

National Honor Society: Students (juniors and seniors) who have a cumulative average of 3.2 are initially eligible for induction into the National Honor Society. They must demonstrate scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Meetings are Tuesdays during the second half of lunch with Ms. France (room A112).

Newspaper Club: Learn about journalism and help create the school newspaper and/or other forms of media. Meetings are Tuesdays after school until 4 PM in Ms. Berke’s room (A327).

Orchestra Club: The Orchestra Club is for all that have a passion for music. Anyone who plays an instrument or would like to learn is welcome to join! As a member, students will explore and develop musical abilities through performance in various genres including contemporary, classical, jazz, and folk. The group meets after school on Mondays and Thursdays from 3:15-4 PM in room B109 (Ms. France).

Robotics and Electric Car Club: The club is designed to expose students to engineering and computer science related activities. The club was started in 2014 when the Department of Energy DC, sponsored the money to start up our Electric Car Club. In subsequent years, we received funding from Amazon to start up the Robotics part of the club. Now we have the electric car club, where we maintain our electric racecar and participate in the DC Grand Prix. The robotics club aims to compete in the First Robotics Competition. Within the school, the club members are broken down into groups to compete in building and programming their own robot and then create and design an accessory part using our 3D printer. Awards for first, second, and third place will be given. Meetings are held on Thursdays from 3:20 – 4:30 in room A419. Contact Ms. Burton ([email protected]) in room A419 or Mr. Zimmerman ([email protected]) in room A404.

Poetry Club: Students write poetry to share, practice performance skills, sponsor school poetry slams, and host professional writers to celebrate our love of poetry and literature. Meetings are first and third Wednesdays during lunch. Contact Ms. Warren ([email protected]) in room A322.

Société Honoraire de Français (SHF): This is the French Honor Society sponsored by the American Association of Teachers of French. It meets with the French Club in Ms. Vongy’s room (A305) after school on Fridays until 4 PM.

Spanish Honor Society: Promotes the learning and use of the Spanish language and culture. Meetings are Tuesdays during lunch in Mr. Zu’s room (A309).

Student Government Associaton: For students interested in planning events at the school. All students are welcome. Meetings are TBD in Mr. Gazda’s room (A220). The Student Government will hold its first informational meeting on Friday, September 10 at 3:20 pm.  All students who are interested are welcome to attend, especially students who are planning on running for an SGA Officer position (seniors only).  We will discuss the SGA agenda, elections, and other plans for this school year. 

Yearbook: Help produce the yearbook for this school year. Meetings are held Mondays during lunch in room A324 (Ms. Morris).

Yoga Club: Yoga Club will meet Tuesdays at the beginning of lunch in room A225. Some yoga mats are available for student use; students can bring their own mat or a towel. No previous experience with yoga is necessary. Contact Ms. Amanda Zigmond ([email protected]).