A Banneker Thanksgiving: Travels, Traditions, and Tastes

Banneker students return to class after Thanksgiving Break full of turkey and thankful for the long weekend.

After five days out of school to celebrate Thanksgiving, students return back to class Monday, November 29. With many students still getting over their food hangovers, jumping right back into a full week of classes can be a bit difficult.

Before going on break, many teachers provided similar Thanksgiving Break assignments, “spend time with your families,” “take the time to do something for yourself,” and “learn one of Thanksgiving recipes.” Being a Banneker student is often a stressful experience, making the Thanksgiving assignment one of the most important given all school year.

Most of our students helped to prepare the Thanksgiving meals this year, most looking forward to the mac and cheese, ham, and candied yams.

Although most of our Achievers stayed in the DMV for the holiday, some ventured to spend time with family they don’t see as often. Destinations included California, Connecticut, North Carolina, Georgia, and even Saudi Arabia.

Clarke Weathersby, a junior, traveled to New York, a tradition that was eagerly restarted this year.

With much to be thankful for, the Banneker student body was asked what they were most thankful for this year and many agreed that family, friends, and good health throughout the pandemic were at the top of the list.

“I am thankful for the ability to have a support system whenever I am in need,” said Cristian Cardona, a soon to be graduate of the Class of 2022, “friends that keep me within good boundaries.”

Other student said they were “thankful for the opportunities” they were given and to be “an educated young Black man with a bright future.”

Banneker student all find different ways to celebrate Thanksgiving. From spending the holiday at lake houses, to flashlight tag, to choosing secret santas, and prepping for Black Friday shopping. Everyone finds away to make the time spent with their family special.

Even though everyone has different things that make their holiday special, the Banneker family has one tradition in common, standing around the table with family and sharing what they’re most thankful for and there was definitely plenty to share.