The Winter Sports Season is Looking Bright

Indoor Track

Banneker’s track team has always had solid performances, but this season is different. Rather than just solid, they are looking to have an amazing performance. 

Coach Verner returns and is excited for the new season. He is especially excited about “seeing how the 4×8 [team] will perform.”

At their first meet, they will likely push themselves and set their season goals. 

Isaiah Bowman, a returning senior, will be having his final season for the team. Hopefully it will be his best season yet.

Cheer

Another hopeful team at Banneker is our very own cheer team. They have faced some adversity over the past two years, losing most of the senior team to graduation. But that hasn’t stopped Coach McFadden and Coach Washington.

McFadden is “just happy being back and rebuilding.” And rebuild he did, bringing in a young team of mostly freshmen and sophomores. Despite being so new to cheer they are “ambitious,” a quality needed to attempt competition winning stunts. 

The team will not go in without leadership, though. They are led by senior captains Jordyn Brown, Korie Fitzpatrick, and Yazmine Fields, and junior captain Autumn Smith. 

Kicking off the season, a handful of cheerleaders were chosen to perform at some basketball games. Both Washington and McFadden saw a few causes for adjustment but were still overall happy with the team.

Girls Basketball

An already successful winter sports team, the girls basketball team, kicks the season off 4-0. 

With such a strong start, they are likely to win another DCIAA Championship, a goal set for the team by Coach Berger.  

In an interview, both Berger and Coach Abby were able to give insight into what the team is looking to build on. They want to develop the team’s abilities, teamwork, and confidence. They are also looking to rely on their three juniors: Joel Walker, Rhyan Baldwin, and Naki Cobb. 

Either way, the coaches have found a winning formula, which might be enough to carry them through the season.

Boys Basketball

The boys basketball team starts the season with 3 wins and 4 losses. A solid start despite the team being so young and made up of majority freshmen and sophomores.

Although the regular season just started, Coach Reginald Williams held pre-season conditioning and hosted an Amateur Athletic Union (AAU) team. He was assisted by assistant coach Nathaniel Brooks and Dr. Benjamin Williams.

In the season, Coach Williams is looking to instill discipline and composure into the team.

He is however proud of their “defensive effort” and “never give up attitude” the team has shown in game.

The team will look to finish the season with a positive record and look forward to a strong and well put  together team next year.