Banneker students experience levels of stress during the COVID-19 school year

Some look to their hobbies as a way to loosen up

???

Some Banneker students have found that time to exercise is also time to de-stress.

Christopher Flores-Moreno

Extracurricular Hobbies Help Struggling Banneker Students De-stress During Distance Learning

By Chris Flores-Moreno

As Banneker students learn to adapt to the COVID-19 remote work environment, the quarantined teens have found new hobbies with some of their spare time. The 2020-21 school year schedule allows students to work from home from 9 AM-3:30 PM, and with no classes on Wednesday. 

Many students are filled with frustration as the electronic work continues to pile up day by day. Some say it’s overwhelming, while others say it is a blessing in disguise. 

Freshman Alexander Molina-Benitez said he would rate his school year experience so far an eight on a scale from one to ten. During the interview, he spoke about the mental and educational benefits of the distance learning semester.

“So far my work is very easy and my social anxiety has significantly decreased,” Molina-Benitez said. “I find myself participating more than I usually have in past years. And my favorite thing about this is that you can do your work on your own time, and get things done at home while at school.”

The ninth grader said he has gotten into the hobbies of soccer and organizing, specifically becoming tidier and constantly getting chores done. “It is a way I relieve stress that I get both in and out of school,” he said.

Sophomore Nazia Edwards responded with a six when asked to rate her high school experience so far.

“I’m learning to maintain my assignments and improve my time management,” Edwards said. “The best thing about this whole situation is that I get to stay in bed, but it’s also hard to stay focused and maintain your work ethic sometimes.”

“Being in this environment can give students the mindset that school is optional,” she said, “simply because they aren’t there.”

Nazia says she has not begun any new hobbies during the school year, but will “definitely try something new with [her] extra time.” 

Junior Aria Summers rates her school year a five out of ten. However, she claimed that this may be one of her best years yet.

“I’ve become more self-sufficient and learned to handle my responsibilities without the help of teachers and staff,” Summers said.

She believes that distance learning is teaching her how to become more independent, a trait very crucial for what comes after high school: college! Summers said that she works out very often at home, and that this “clears [her] mind and makes [her] forget about the work sitting on the desk, temporarily.”

Last but not least, the seniors. Students of this grade level have to juggle schoolwork, college applications, scholarships, and possibly their jobs as well. That’s a lot to put on senior teens, especially if they have little guidance at home for these things. If the whole year is online, seniors will also miss out on their special activities, including the event students have waited four long years for: prom.

Senior Lundyn Ross described her year so far as a two out of ten and speaks for her class about the struggle of managing all these things at once, and how having a daily workout routine helps her de-stress.

“Balancing all this work is very stressful,” she said, “especially when you have to do everything on your own. The remote environment has had an overall negative impact on me, and this is not the senior experience I expected. But I find ways to relax through my workouts. It’s like the weight is lifted off my shoulder.”