Students persevere despite virtual learning challenges

Tylar Contee

Since the COVID-19 pandemic required students to begin the school year virtually, many believe there has been an increase in the workload. It has also been difficult for some students to keep up with their work and comprehend the material being taught to them. 

According to Jaida Nutall, a junior at School Without Walls High School, virtual learning has been harder than what she anticipated.

“Academically, I have felt like I’ve been failing myself,” said Nutall. 

As a visual learner, virtual learning has made it difficult for Nutall to easily understand the material and to block out home distractions. 

“It’s made it difficult because when the teacher is doing a presentation, the chances that I’m sitting there on my phone are very likely,” said Nutall. “When I’m at home, I sleep here, eat here, you know, I watch TV. It’s hard to completely be in the academic mindset.” 

Due to these issues, Nutall said that her grades have dropped in comparison to her personal standards that she held during face-to-face learning.

As Nutall perseveres through the challenges she is facing during virtual learning, Charles Minnis, a junior at Banneker, has been able to adjust to virtual learning a little bit easier.

“In retrospect, actually, since the beginning of virtual learning and this pandemic, my stress levels are lower than what they would have been during the school year,” said Minnis. 

On account of his previous experiences at Banneker, the workload is what Minnis expected, if not better. Minnis’ grades have increased since virtual learning began because he is able to easily balance his social life and academic studies. 

Previously, it was difficult for Minnis to work on the Banneker schedule, so this method has provided less stress and more flexibility. 

Other students have also found virtual learning to be a blessing in disguise. 

Tyler Campbell and Dion Dunnington, sophomores at Banneker, commented that their grades have remained the same since virtual learning began. But for Campbell and Dunnington, learning has been more difficult since students cannot be hands on.

Banneker junior, Iesha Thomas, agrees. Thomas, a kinesthetic learner, believes that it is hard to learn and retain the information because teachers are unable to provide clear examples and can only explain the concept with words. 

Despite the academic challenges of virtual learning, many students are determined to not let the pandemic tremendously affect their grades. They have become accustomed to life on the computer and the challenges that come with it.

As Nutall said, the students continue “taking it day by day.”