Banneker 4 You: Week of March 20

Welcome to the Banneker weekly news briefing.

Listen to Ben Davis and Myles Jeffers with Meshae Jones read the news here.

1.Women’s History Month

When – Though Women’s History Month officially started March 1, the assembly took place on March 21st at 2:15pm 

What – There was a collection of poem recitations, stories about important women in students’ lives, the dance team performed to Beyonce’s “Girls Run the World” and Blessing Nkop led a group of freshmen in a beautiful song. 

Why is it important – This assembly was done to celebrate the long, rich history of women and highlighted the accomplishments of women in students’ lives as well as women throughout history.  

2. Flag Football Season Begins

The Details: Banneker Girls Flag Football team took on Roosevelt Rough Riders for their first game of the season on March 22, 2023. They went home with a win and a score of 18-0. The team is led by Boys Varsity Basketball coach and History teacher Mr. Williams, as well as our Assistant Principal, Dr. Williams.  

Why it matters: This was the team’s first game back after being knocked out of the first round of the playoffs last season by the Rough Riders. They are looking forward to their next game on March 27 against the Eastern High School Rams. 

3. Pi Day Celebration

The Details:  The school’s math department hosted their first “Pi Day” assembly on March 23, 2023. The assembly had poems, rap performances, and competitions based on math with prizes for the winners. 

What else to know: Pi Day is a day that celebrates the math constant, π(pi), with its three significant figures 3,1, and 4, which is why the day is recognized on March 14. It was founded in 1988 by Larry Shaw, an employee at a science museum in California, but the day wasn’t an official holiday until 2009. It’s also the day of Albert Einstein’s birthday. 

4. Spring Play  

The Details: Play On! – a comedy revelation – is opening on March 24, 2023. Tickets cost $3 for students and $5 for adults and are available at the door. Come on down to see Play On! By Rick Abbot tonight or next Friday, March 31, at 5 PM. 

Why it matters: This is the first full-length Banneker play being held in person in no less than three years, after online productions during the pandemic. Banneker has finally organized a wonderful play sporting a diverse talented 10-member cast.